Martial law on the part of the territory of Ukraine was introduced
Оn November 26, 2018 the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine supported the introduction of a martial law in a number of regions of Ukraine. These are Odessa, Mykolaiv, Kherson, Zaporozhye, Lugansk, Donetsk, Sumy, Kharkiv, Chernihiv, Vinnitsa regions.
The decree of the President of Ukraine provides for the introduction of a martial law from November 26 until December 26, 2018.
During the martial law the following measures are possible on the side of the state:
- Attracting able-bodied people to socially useful work. This involves the execution of defense work, as well as the elimination of emergency situations of technological, natural and military nature and their consequences. Duration of performance of such works and payment for them shall be established in accordance with labor legislation.
- Use of the capacities and labor resources of enterprises, institutions and organizations of all forms of ownership for defense purposes, to change the mode of their work, carry out other changes in the production activity, as well as working conditions in accordance with the legislation on labor.
- In case of necessity the law allows forcibly dispose of property that is privately owned for the needs of the state.
- To introduce a curfew (the prohibition of staying in a certain period of time on the streets and in other public places without specially issued passes and permits), as well as to establish a special mode of blackout.
- To establish a special regime of entry and exit, restrict the freedom of movement, as well as movement of vehicles.
- To check documents, inspect things, vehicles, luggage and cargo, office premises and citizens' accommodation, except for restrictions established by the Constitution of Ukraine.
At the same time the prohibition of torture, punishment, humiliating treatment. Citizens have the right to a fair trial and legal assistance.
- To prohibit holding of peaceful gatherings, rallies, campaigns and demonstrations, other mass events.
- To establish the prohibition or restriction on the choice of place of stay or place of residence by persons in the territory where the martial law is effective.
- To regulate the work of enterprises of telecommunications, printing enterprises, publishing houses, TV and radio organizations, TV and radio centers and other enterprises, institutions, organizations and institutions of culture and mass media, as well as to use local radio stations, television centers and printing houses for military needs and conducting explanatory work among troops and population; to prohibit the work of receiving and transmitting radio stations of personal and collective use and transmission of information through computer networks.
- In case of violation of the requirements or non-implementation of the measures of the legal regime of martial law to confiscate telecommunication equipment, television, video and audio equipment, computers, as well as, if necessary, other technical means of communication from enterprises, institutions and organizations, individual citizens.
- To prohibit citizens who are in military or special register from changing their place of residence (place of stay) without the permission of the military commissar.
- To establishment of a military accommodation service for physical persons and legal entities for the placement of servicemen, evacuees and placement of military divisions, units and institutions.
- To remove of heads of enterprises, institutions and organizations from their positions for improper fulfillment of their duties specified by the law and to appoint acting heads of the said enterprises, institutions and organizations.